Monday, May 5, 2008

3 Knights and the Clumsy Princess

I did it again. I can’t believe I did it again. Saturday I put together a ride with my favorite riding partner Mark. He and I ride together as often as our schedules allow. We scheduled to meet at Oaks Park Saturday morning and head out and around Sauvie Island and then back to the park. It should be about a 45 mile loop.

So our plans changed slightly as my friend Joe and Mark’s friend Dale joined us. We welcomed the extra riders and we headed out. Now let me set the stage. Mark is like a father to me, a best friend, and the man who was with me a year ago when I was taken by ambulance off Marine Drive when I had a horrible cycling accident. An accident like that can really bond you to the person who was there for you. Joe – well Joe and I go back about three plus years, he’s a great friend and we have a past. (Enough said) Dale, now Dale is a sweetest man on earth. He is 70-years-old has had two hip replacements and can out cycle all of us, he’s a stud. Me, well I am lucky to have these three great men in my life.

So, of course, I am in the lead because being the only woman on the ride I am not about to be at the end of the line. (not really, I just happened to be in front at this portion of the ride) I didn’t hit the railroad tracks at enough of a 90 degree angle and my front tire slide on the track and I went down. I wasn’t going very fast and I fell on my butt which has the most padding so that is good. But my pride was hurt and I was embarrassed to say the least. Of course Mark grabbed me, Joe grabbed my bike and Dale offered to rub my butt. I popped some Advil, shock it off, and was ready to finish the ride. As we pulled away one of them quietly said to the other, “She doesn’t want to be babied, she could be dieing and she’d never let us know it.”
A few days later and my tailbone is very soar, sitting down has become a very painful experience. :(

2 comments:

Mima said...

Glad to hear that they want to be able to look after you, even if you wont let them, but sorry that you are still in pain. With any luck it will only take a couple of days more to ease off.

Anonymous said...

Wendal,

I'm glad you are OK. You are a trooper. I'm excited to read about what you have been up too! Good job! Take care. Tell Amber Hi!~