Wednesday, August 22, 2007

We All Fall Sometimes


We all fall sometimes even me, what is important is who is there to pick me up. For me he is many things, he is like my big brother, a cool guy to hang with, a safe friend, an advisor. Over the course of a year he has filled so many voids in my heart and mind. Statements of encouragement, being proud of my good choices, providing logical solutions to my questions…. But on August 5, 2007 my appreciation for what an amazing person he is grew deeper.

We were just finishing up our 45 mile bike ride on the
Marine Drive bike path with only 8 miles to go I was anticipating the calorie packed hamburger that awaited me at the end of our ride. I was going to buy this time it was my turn… The sun was getting warmer so I slid my arm warmers off and tucked them neatly in my back jersey pocket in doing this I let my front tire go off the road and before I could react I was flung over my handlebars landing on the back of my head at 18 mph. Don't you hate that feeling the moment you know you're about to bite it, and you're just trying to figure out how to make it less painful? I yelled out my friends name as I hurdled over the bars and didn’t regain consciousness until I felt him by my side assessing the damage. A fellow cyclist stopped to offer help and between the two of them they had 911 on the way and M~ was holding the back of my head. As I started to grasp what had just happened I looked to see if my bike survived the crash. As M~ handed me my water bottle what I saw almost made me throw up. My friend was covered in my blood, his hands, shirt it was everywhere.

If wrecking my beautiful road bike wasn’t bad enough, I’m bleeding all over my dear friend and to top it off when the fire department shows up it is training day so instead of the normal three maybe
four good looking firemen that show up on calls I get nine. Oh God let me die now!!! Nine very nice looking firemen all wanting a piece of the action so they can claim it towards their training time. I recall feeling very claustrophobic, I guess we don’t out grow that phobia as we get older or at least I haven’t as I learned being strapped to that board laying on my back where most of my injuries were it was very painful.

I had my first ambulance ride, cat scans, five staples put in the back of my head and three sutures to finish off the day…. I will never look at a stapler the same. The hot shower water later that night revealed the road rash I had on my back and hip. Ouch!!!!

M~ had taken care of my bike and stopped by
Emanuel Hospital to make sure I was okay, it was comforting to see him and I thanked him for caring for me and also apologized for ruining our great ride that day.

When it was all said and done when the fuss was over and I knew I was okay I laid there alone in the bright white emergency room thinking of one thing…
Jules, oh how I wanted my dear friend. M~ called her and she was on her way to get me. When she peeked her head around the corner and said “Hello” I saw her face and knew that all was well in the universe and all became balanced for me. She took me home, fed me, cleaned me up and stayed with me most of the night.

I am truly a blessed lady, I have the most amazing circle of friends and if I ever doubt my
Heavenly Father all I need to do is look into the eyes of my friends and I know he is right here with me, he is in each of these wonderful people around me…

2 comments:

Jules~ said...

Awe I am blushing.....

I continue to be so grateful that M~ was there with you when it all happened. I think about those times that you have done that ride alone....and nothing wrong with that mind you. It was just one more thing in God's timing to keep you safe.

Heidi said...

Wow - glad you're "ok".