Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Cycling Can Change from Saturday to Monday

This Saturday spring was in the air. I enjoyed a 27-mile bike ride on one of my favorite routes. The sun felt fantastic and although my speed was good my endurance wasn’t what it was this summer. It was a good ride and it was outside under the sun, what more can I ask for in February in Oregon.
My heart sank this morning when I read the following article. A cyclist killed Monday afternoon in a crash involving a TriMet bus was a 15-year-old student named Austin Miller, 15, of Beaverton. Miller was a student at the Arts & Communication High School in Beaverton.
This pulls on my heart for two reasons, one I am a cyclist and I am on the road a lot; it sadness me more because I am a mom. My heart breaks for young Austin’s parents, there can not be a more painful thing in life than to loose your child, we are not suppose to live longer than our children, it’s not natural. I am so sorry for their loss. We’ve lost a record number of cyclists in 2007, I hope 2008 proves to be different but it doesn’t appear we are starting off on the right foot. http://www.katu.com/news/15529312.html

2 comments:

Jules~ said...

I agree. It is so sad to have life extinguished in a young person. It is always sad actually but for one so young when they haven't experienced all the hills of life, it seems even more so. It broke my heart when I watched the story on the news last night.
It makes me appreciate my day and remind myself not to be complacent or mundane.

Mima said...

How wonderful that you have been able to get out and about on your bike, but tragic to hear about such a young boy dying before having the opportunity to experience life. It is one of the things that I am always really grateful for - that I had and took the chance to do so many things before I became ill.