Monday, October 15, 2007

I Hate the Bassoon


My friend Sherrie asked me a question; it was a simple question nothing out of the ordinary… It was my answer that surprised my friend and even made me step back and think. (So, how do you like the basson?)
My daughter has played the violin for 8 years now. We’ve all come to love the violin, friends, family, all of us. The violin has become a part of our lives and is part of my daughter’s very soul. So this September I was a little taken back when she asked to take up the bassoon. I was surprised and really didn’t give it much thought. Before I knew it she brought home a bassoon from school, was signed up for weekly lessons, her scheduled arranged to allow for orchestra and band classes and a supply list was put on the kitchen counter.
I hate the Bassoon! (That was my answer to the question.)
Do you know what the bassoon is to me? It is a drive into Portland each week fighting 5:30 traffic, it is another $150 a month spent on lessons, supplies, it is more fuel costs out of an already tight budget, it is one more things for ME to do.
Do you know what the bassoon is to my daughter? It is a gift and talent she has, it is an avenue to embrace more music, more opportunities, more friends and events. It is one more thing to do that makes her feel special and one more talent God has given her. It makes her smile, it makes her happy, it fills our home with even more music than before.

I still hate the bassoon but a month later but I’ve come to love the joy it brings her.

1 comment:

Jules~ said...

Look up self-sacrificing, devoted mom in the dictionary and you will see....a picture of you!
You rock!