Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Boot Camp - Oregon Style

No, not military boot camp but close enough. My first love is cycling but in my ever effort to be a fast strong cyclist I signed myself up for a class at the college where I work called Boot camp. We meet at six in the morning for a little over an hour.
I showed up Monday morning with my sleepy eyes barely opened enough to see a few familiar faces from around campus. I was dressed in sweat top and bottoms, rain jacket, beanie, gloves and running shoes. I really had no idea what we were going to do in the college gym but I was prepared to shed a few layers if need be.
There would be no need for shedding layers I learn; the class was held outside. WHAT! My car registered the outside air at a brisk 36 degrees as I drove to the class that morning; it was a typical Oregon morning rain and a cool breeze coming from the northwest.
I found myself running the college track, running the stadium stairs, lifting weights, and stretching outside in January in Oregon. Yuck!
I almost hate to admit it because by this time you are all feeling bad for me but I love it! It totally kicks-ass to be out there busting my butt in the cold rainy stormy weather at 6 a.m. As I ran around the track this morning with the cold wind on my face I looked up at the stadium lights watching the rain fall, listening to my heart beat, feeling my feet carry me around the track, up the stadium stairs and down I felt strong! I felt invincible! I felt like I was in complete control of every minute of the new day.
We’ll see how I feel in two weeks. If I don’t blog about Boot camp anymore you know it was a short lived feeling of strength and invincibility.

3 comments:

Mima said...

Good on you, now you just have to keep it up, so no late nights, and lots of lovely fresh air is all yours!

Jules~ said...

my dear friend...the adrenaline junky. You would have made a perfect G.I. Jane you know. Truthfully, I only tease out of love. I am jealous that you have such a love for recreation. You are an inspiration!

Unknown said...

Principal Possum here (Maurie). Now that you've commented on my blog I'll be checking yours out from time to time. Your life looks full of neat adventures.