Friday, January 25, 2008

Palm Springs, CA - Winter Trip 2008

Palm Springs! Is there any better place to visit when the dark Oregon winter gray gets to you? Nope!!!! I enjoyed four days in Palm Springs visiting family and friends over MLK weekend.
In the past I didn’t enjoy myself there in the desert.
I spent ten years there in my teens and relocated to Oregon 15 years ago. I hated the desert when I was young. If you weren’t a rich retired golfer there wasn’t anything for you there. People tend to be very plastic and fake. The most comical seen is 70-year-old women with their white shorts, leather tan legs and gold high heels, not to mention their eye brows are on top of their head from all of the face lifts. Yuck! How sad at that age to be so insecure that you try to dress like a 20-year-old. For goodness sake at 70 you’ve earned those wrinkles, bags and sags and you have class and wisdom beyond any 20-year-old.
As usual I’ve grown up and evolved over these past 15 years and when I visit now I enjoy myself. I appreciate the things about the desert valley that I took for granted when I lived there. Each morning I walked out into my uncle’s backyard (in my shorts and tee) picked 5 oranges off of his tree and squeezed fresh juice for breakfast. Yummm… I walked in the morning and evenings under the warm sunshine. The birds sing all day long and the roadrunners great you when you to grab the morning paper. Things are in bloom and everything smells sweet & warm.
California isn’t as bike-friendly as Oregon is, I hardly noticed any roadies with all of that sunshine and blue ski I expected the roads to be full of cyclist. I saw two. Each day I wish I had my bike, I’d have written everyday. Sad to see those long flat sun baked roads going to waist.
Overall the trip was fantastic, I loved the time with my aunt and two uncles; I am so lucky to have them in my life. As I get older I find my relationship with them has become more of sister and brother rather than uncle and niece.

I stayed in my grandmother’s bedroom, she passed away last summer. I felt such a peace and comfort being in her room, among her belongs, tucked under the quilt she made many years ago.
I think I’ll make this a new tradition to visit Palm Springs each January when the gray skies of Oregon start to get me down and winter seems to never end.

1 comment:

Mima said...

Sounds heavenly, there is nothing like a bit of sunshine to really cheer you up. I grew up in the UK, and whilst I was living in Cayman I would have these moments walking down the street when I almost felt as if I was walking on air with that wonderful sunshine feeling, when you just know that you are the luckiest person around.