Monday, June 2, 2008

Memorial Day - Mt. Biking in Bend, Oregon

There is no better place to be then in Bend, Oregon mountain biking around Phil’s Trail on Memorial Day. This weekend was the first time I was there and the weather was a bit questionable. It was a cool and cloudy few days to ride in. I’m not complaining, like I said, there is no better place to be then Bend.

I stayed at Eagle Crest just outside of Redmond in a beautiful little one bedroom condo. Cozy, quaint, and decorated similar to what I would do with rich earth colors and sparse nic-nac junk. I am into clean and organized environments.

I enjoyed my ride but have to admit I wasn’t riding as strong as I did the last time I visited the area. With all the extra cold rainy days we’ve had in the Portland area I haven’t gotten nearly the miles in this year. This time last year I was getting 80 to 100 miles a week in. Currently I am averaging 45 to 60 per week. It is funny how I compare each year of fitness to the next. I gauge this years cycling success to last years.

I took in a great walk at Drake Park, a stole up Wall Street and found a path with about 100 cute dogs on it behind the Old Mill District. I got my dog petting and oogglling quota in for the next four months. I had to laugh at the truth to the saying “Owners look like their pets.” Well, a little.
What type of dog would you be if you had to compare?


Me, I’d be a mutt, made up of a:
Labrador (because I am so soft-hearted)
Basenji (because I have way too much energy)
Beagle (because they are so strong willed)




2 comments:

Mima said...

It looks like a wonderful biking place, very pretty, and it sounds as if you had a fab time.

Jules~ said...

I never thought about it actually...what kind of dog WOULD I be?
Golden Retriever keeps coming to my mind.

And hey, I know you have to have something to beat yourself up about so that you can push and do better. I can do that same sort of thing in any given situation....but 60 miles is still an accomplishment my friend. I was jsut driving along the river today adn thinkngi about you trekking that and tackling that hill by your house. You are amazing. There is NO WAY I would do that hill EVER.
You rock!